mjr's index page
Updated July 2009
Software developer, writer, editor. In 28 years of professional
experience I have been all of these.
Recent work includes:
- High-volume (7 terabytes/day) ETL development in Perl and PL/SQL for Danger Inc a purveyor of mobile phone services.
- Software Development (EDI-Tibco/Oracle/Workflow) including
hi-capacity medical information load to OLTP system, customer
compliance reporting, and various utilities for Oncology
Theraputics Network of South San Francisco California.
- EDI workflow development, optimization, and enhancement for
McKesson Corporation of San Francisco. Re-wrote workflows
surrounding large scale file-management software -- Sterling
Corp. "Connect Mailbox".
- Oracle development, small business loans decision support
software for Wells Fargo of San Francisco. Optimized 5,000 line
package for maintenance and enhanced performance.
- High-capacity ETL to/from web store and client OLTP/OLAP
DBMS software including PL/SQL code generator in Perl.
- High-throughput X12/XML-based EDI development for Headlands
Mortgage of Larkspur California. No EDI package on the market
today can match the throughput of this proprietary software
created 10 years ago!
- Queue-based data bus implemented with sockets
- Address matching for government compliance, large legacy migration,
EAI and ETL, for transaction and data warehouse (OLTP to OLAP),
monitoring, recording, testing, and many other applications.
The work above represent the last 12 years of
development, mostly with Oracle (PL/SQL, and all other related Oracle
development tools), and Perl, a powerful work and data flow language.
If the previous example is a bit long here is a short
that gets a web page source and returns all URLs on it to
the 13 years preceding I worked for American Express and others
where I gained experience in over a dozen DBMS systems, served as
DBA, and developer in 3rd, 4th, and 5th generation languages on
micro- mini- and mainframe platforms. My complete resume is linked here, while a resume
focused on my 15 years in EDI
is here. Earlier work includes:
- Napa County fleet cost accounting system
- Multi-user DEC terminal emulation software package
- Design for winery inventory and production control system
- American Express life insurance claims system implemented
twice, in DataFlex and Supra/Mantis
- DBA: Cincom's Supra RDBMS for American Express
- Maintain and extend HR and Payroll system implemented in
Pick for American Express
- Automated simultaneous multi-user bi-directional electronic data
exchange system between American Express Corporate and 35 field
- Insurance claims processing system from data analysis, and DBMS schema design
to code implementation (Mantis)
From 1989 to 1991 (while working for American Express) I authored a
column on the subject of DBMS procedural languages for "Computer
Language Magazine" (subsequently named "Software Development"
published by Miller Freeman Corp. of San Francisco). During the
course of this work, I was privileged to twice interview Edgar Codd,
inventor of the Relational database. These two interviews were
published in two Miller Freeman publications (1990) and later in
"DBMS Magazine" (1993). In 1991, I published a book: Computer Mediated Communications
(ISBN 0-471-51642-2 1991 John Wiley and Sons publisher).
I continue my writing to this day. Recent articles include:
- High Volume Reporting
- Legacy Conversion and Data Migration
- Middleware and its Impact on Electronic Data
- EDI Architectures and their relation to
other parts of the corporate enterprise.
- Workflow in the Business of E-discovery, or
finding a relevant set in a pool of largely irrelevant
- The Data Driven Workflow Model.
Workflow without explicit inter-application mapping.
Besides technical articles, I have also published a few reviews of
At this time, April 2008, I am looking for work as software
developer, writer, or editor. I am an engineer at heart. If I can
help with software or technical documentation requirements, or if
you seek a writer/editor, please feel free to contact me here via e-mail
Mail to mjr
Here is a
picture of me taken at Xuma Corporation in 2001